Where do you start when you have an ethics question?
Most lawyers probably turn to the Rules of Professional Conduct. But often the answer will not jump out at you. It is difficult to know how to interpret the 400+ comments to the Rules. Then there are the more than 500 ABA Formal Ethics Opinions and many state ethics opinions, some of which conflict with each other. For thorny questions, it may be faster to reach out to us for help.
We provide telephone, Zoom, and in-person consultations on ethics and law practice issues. We do our best to find time to talk with you within 48 hours of when you contact us. Some typical areas for consultations include:
- Conflicts of interest
- Retainer agreements
- Communicating with represented and I represented parties (Rules 4.2 and 4.3)
- Withdrawing from representation
- Navigating ethics restrictions on marketing
- Multi-jurisdictional practice
- Lawyer departures from law firms
- Bar admissions